For many of us, our spiritual wellness practice is centered in the space we spend our most time: at home. This makes sense, after all, since that is often the place we feel most anchored and where we feel most comfortable engaging in rituals such as meditation, crystal healing, or dabbling in the types of self-exploration and discovery that serve as the building blocks of our mind and spirit. However, it is often when we leave our personal spaces to travel that we need to call on our personal powers the most — who doesn’t need an extra dose of calm, courage, curiosity, or even luck when connecting in new ways with others and the world around us?
Fortunately, the beauty and magic of spiritual wellness is that you can bring it with you wherever your adventures take you! We’ve compiled a list of tips and tricks for bringing elements of your practice when you are on the move.
- Travel-sized SW: While we love Big Crystal Energy, at Smudge we are equal fans of the mini-types of stones and tools that we can tuck into our bag, pockets, or suitcase. (Here is a selection of our travel-friendly crystal mixes, curated by power.) Tumbled stones are perfect and palm-sized, making them ideal for when you want to hold onto a tangible reminder of the energy you want to put out in the world.
- Start each day with a purpose: One of the easiest ways to bring your spiritual wellness practice on the go is to set an intention before a trip to start each day with a quick mantra or value. This is easiest to do when you are doing your daily routines. For example, while you are brushing your teeth or taking a morning shower, spend that time saying out loud a short purpose-driven for the day. “I will be infinitely curious” or “Today I lead with patience” can go a long way in making sure that your actions follow suit and result in the kind of experience that aligns with your travel goals. (Need an assist? Bring along an intention deck to use as a guide.)
- Rest and reflect: While traveling is among the greatest pleasures of life, it can also be hectic and stressful — especially over the last couple of years when there are additional safety precautions to worry about on top of your itinerary. Make room in your schedule each day to pause and check in with yourself. Bring along a journal or notepad and commit to at least five minutes of a quiet debrief. A few prompts to get you started: 1. What’s something I learned today? 2. Who is somebody I connected with? 3. What is something that brought me joy? This simple practice will ground you during your travels and will serve as a meaningful souvenir once you return home.
- Make your practice part of the conversation: Your spiritual wellness practice is not something to hide! If you are somebody who loves crystals, meditating, and engaging with rituals, don’t feel like you have to keep this behind closed hotel doors. Team Smudge has had some of our most revelatory moments when a stranger asks us about a stone we are holding out and about or when we are using a tarot deck in a busy park. Part of adventure is embracing the opportunity to engage with what you are doing to harness and express who you are — let your magic shine. Pro-tip: bring along an extra stone or two that you can give to somebody you meet or who made a positive impact during your trip.
- Local spiritual wellness appreciation: At Smudge we take special care to acknowledge and appreciate the practices and rituals that have existed and evolved throughout the world. One of the best ways to integrate spiritual wellness into your travel life (and beyond!) is to be mindful of what is happening around you and learn how spiritual wellness is expressed across different cultures. When planning your agenda and researching your destination, be sure to note any wellness traditions you can learn more about. In doing so, be mindful of doing this through the lens of empathy, respect, and gratitude for the people who you meet along the way. Support the people and organizations you learn from directly, ethically, and sustainably. (Smudge has recently launched a travel series for spiritual wellness — check out our inaugural San Francisco edition here.)
With these tips in hand, we hope your next trip will be an extension of what you have already been building at home — a practically magic set of tools and resources to help you summon and expand the unique power you already possess. Happy travels!