Whenever I look at a client’s natal chart, I love to look at their moon sign. The moon represents our moods, emotions, instinctive reaction, how we find security, and so much more – and since it is the fastest moving “planet” in astrological terms, it has a varying impact on each of us individually. What the moon phase you were born under says about you — you might be surprised!
The moon moves through every sign every 28 days – but the proximity of the moon to the sun changes from season to season. This gives us the lunar phases (New Moon, waxing crescent, full moon, and so on), which give us an added layer of complexity to the expression of the sign our moon is.
If you don’t know what lunar phase you were born under, you can calculate it here: https://www.moongiant.com/birthday-moon/
THE DIFFERENT PHASES AND WHAT THEY MEAN IF YOU WERE BORN UNDER THEM:
If you are born under a …
- New Moon this means your sun & moon are in the same sign. You are a very active individual & very reactionary. When we think of New Moons, we think of “new beginnings,” so you now have a connection to all things new. You want to start new projects, move forward, and continue to develop.
WHAT THE MOON PHASE YOU WERE BORN UNDER Says ABOUT YOU
- Waxing Crescent means you are very self-assertive and action-oriented. You, similar to New Moon babies, want to get shit done. You are active and want to push through any challenges you face. You have this natural cosmic call to action, which causes you to be moving forward constantly.
- First Quarter this means your sun & moon are square each other. This can create some tension when expressing yourself, but you are given a cosmic gift to overcome adversity. By having varying expressions of identity & emotion, you can see with a broader lens and create change.
- Waxing Gibbous means that you have naturally exploratory energy. The moon is becoming fuller and fuller, just like your mind. Being born under a waxing gibbous is like the proverbial student who is always trying to understand life’s deeper meaning and purpose. Very profound and likes to have deep intimate conversations.
- The full moon means that your sun & moon are opposite each other. The moon is big, bright, and beautiful but magnified in its energy. This can be an emotionally intense placement for people, but it provides a deep sense of clarity for themselves and others. Think of the Full Moon as the light shining on the unknown, and now apply that to your life. You get to shine the light on the novel – if you use the power of this placement and don’t allow the intensity of emotions to overpower you.
- Waning Gibbous means that you get to take the light bestowed upon the Full Moon and share it with those around you. The intensity of the Full Moon has started to fade, but because the moon is still bright, you are still shining. These individuals like to share their learnings and use their bountiful knowledge to help others.
- Last Quarter this meant that your Sun and Moon are square each other. This is a tense relationship between identity and emotional expression. Since the moon is dimming, you can look at this as the beginning of the end (in a positive way). You are someone who might always be looking for a new door to open and constantly find new paths to explore. You are naturally independent and like change because it brings unique, exciting moments – watch out for being fickle.
- Waning Crescent/Balsamic Moon means we are right on the brink of a New Moon. This is – in some ways – the oldest of the moons, closing the chapter on one lunar lifecycle to open itself up to another one. You have a deep spiritual connection because there is also naturally emotional maturity. You can be comfortable with endings but somewhat pessimistic so make sure you aren’t always prepared for things to end. Use your inherently spiritual energy to help create healing.